Our little Family

Our little Family

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Gratitude

Hi there.  It's Josh.  I felt like writing this one tonight.  This morning I woke up and didn't have a night sweat.  After Church today I took a nap and didn't have a night sweat either.  This is rare for this not to occur and it seems the blood transfusion has increased my energy levels so I am not so fatigued and the symptoms have come down.  I am grateful for those who donate blood and give people like me the opportunity to feel better.

I was feeling strong enough to attend Church today.  Once a month at our church we have what's called a Fast and Testimony Meeting.  These meetings can be very uplifting.  Fasting is defined as this:
To fast is to go without food and drink voluntarily for a certain period of time. Fasting combined with sincere prayer can strengthen us spiritually, bring us closer to God, and help us prepare ourselves and others to receive His blessings.

Our church had a special fast today for me and two other men suffering with severe health issues right now.  All the members of our ward family (congregation) were asked to fast and prayer specifically for us and our families.  It was a humbling experience.  Sarah and I felt their faith and prayers immediately as we entered the church's chapel.  There are many great men and women of faith in our ward.  I know the prayers were heard by our Father in Heaven.  I am grateful for their sacrifice.  I knew that I would have the opportunity to speak with the congregation as part of the bearing of Testimonies.  I wanted my ward family to know that my testimony was being strengthened.  I wanted them to know that I knew my Father in Heaven was blessing me.  I wanted them to know that I was truly grateful for their help with my family this week and their continued service.  I wanted them to know that I know that families can be together forever through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

As I looked out to the congregation I felt that people were genuinely concerned for me and my family.  I felt their prayers and am grateful to be part of something that strengthens me and gives me the courage to stand strong through this cancer.  It's funny as people use to shake hands with me at church and now all I get is hugs.

This week will continue the waiting game where I await the results of my bone marrow biopsy.  I know that I will continue to learn patience as I go through this experience.  I have decided that the theme I will focus on as I go through this is the same theme used by someone I looked up to greatly as she battled ALS.  This is found in Mosiah 24:15 "And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."  

Lastly, I am grateful for the e-mails, texts, and phone calls from old friends and new friends which all give me the strength and encouragement to stay strong and positive right now.  Thank you all again for your support as I feel like I have a huge army rooting for me.  You're all amazing!









2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh, My family and I are praying for you. You have an army behind you. Keep your head up.

    Love you!

    Brian Nelson

    ReplyDelete